Safe Lane Changes
In 2013, there were over 26,000 car accidents that involved vehicles that changed lanes when it was unsafe, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. Knowing and following safe lane changing techniques can help to keep you and other drivers safe while on the road. Keep these tips in mind to make sure that you make it to all of your destinations safely.
- Regularly check your rearview mirror, which will give you a much wider view of the traffic behind you than what you can see in your side mirrors. Watch for any traffic that is comping up faster than you are going. Before you switch lanes, make sure to look over your shoulder before you move into another lane.
- Eliminate or reduce the number of blind spots around your vehicle by adjusting your side and rearview mirrors. Before you head out on the road, make sure that you are used to your mirrors positions so that you know how much you can see.
- Whenever you are changing lanes, always make sure to warn other drivers of your plan by using your turn signal. Turn on your turn signal continuously for at least 100 feet before you change lanes to ensure that the other vehicles around you know where you are going.
- Maintain a safe distance behind all vehicles that you are merging behind at all times. Take all traffic and weather conditions into consideration when merging.
- While you are merging into another lane, make sure to look out for other vehicles that are passing in nearby lanes.
- Have an escape route in mind when you are changing lanes to help avoid an accident.
Most importantly, make sure that you have the right auto insurance policy that will provide the right amount of protection in case of an accident. Contact the independent insurance agents at The Schwab Agency in Colleyville, Texas for all of your car insurance coverage needs.